COUNCIL FOR SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH
The Ghana Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of
(RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT)
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Ghana is the leading Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) organisation mandated to carry out research for national development. The CSIR was established in October 1968 and re-established in its present form by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research Act, 1996, Act 521. Under the Governing Act, (Act 521), the CSIR is required to promote, encourage and regulate research and the application of science and technology for national development. The Act further requires the CSIR to encourage and promote the commercialization of research results.
From its Head Office in Accra, the CSIR oversees and co-ordinates the activities of thirteen (13) research institutes and over twenty (20) Research Centres spread across the country.
The Act is available on the CSIR Website www.csir.org.gh.
The Deputy Director-General will:
- Be responsible to the Director-General of the CSIR for overseeing the development and execution of the Research and Development activities of the thirteen Institutes, as well as the Council’s programmes and projects.
- Assist the Director-General in setting the research priorities of the Council in line with Government policy.
- Ensure quality assurance, and undertake monitoring and evaluation of the research outputs of the Institutes to ensure that research results are reliable, relevant and customer-driven
- Mobilize Research and Development funds for the execution of the Council’s internal and external projects, and establish/maintain effective linkages with relevant institutions and agencies within and outside the CSIR for the implementation of programmes.
- Oversee the transfer of the results of research in Science and Technology to relevant institutions and user-agencies.
- Act for the Director-General in his/her absence.
- Perform any other duties as the Director-General may prescribe from time to time.
- Must have a PhD degree in the Agricultural/Biological/Physical/Engineering Sciences.
- Must be a distinguished and outstanding Research Scientist of national and international repute, with substantial research output and experience in R&D, which must be adjudged to be at the rank of at least a Principal Research Scientist or an Associate Professor.
- Must have strong leadership and management ability, with at least five (5) years management experience as Head of Division/Department or Deputy Director and be capable of translating Council’s strategic plan into strategic decisions and action programmes in the area of R&D. Being a Director/Dean will be an added advantage.
- Must have proven ability to organize, direct and co-ordinate activities within a large research system and to motivate project leaders to combine research excellence with cost-effectiveness and relevance.
- Must have the ability to interact with top management in other institutions and agencies.
- Must have a good business sense and strong resource mobilization skills, and be capable of attracting funding from internal and external sources to support R&D activities.
- Must possess excellent inter-personal and communication skills, to inspire research staff to give off their best.
- Must have considerable digital skills and be proficient in the use of Information Technology to enhance work output.
The applicant must be capable of serving a full five-year term before attaining the compulsory retiring age of 60 years.
The salary is attractive with fringe benefits.
Mode of Application
Interested applicants are to submit a written application letter addressed to
SEARCH COMMITTEE FOR DEPUTY DIRECTOR-GENERAL
COUNCIL FOR SCIENTIFIC AND INDUSTRIAL RESEARCH (CSIR)
ATTENTION: DIRECTOR OF ADMINISTRATION
with the following attachments:
- Full Curriculum Vitae.
- Names and contact information (including e-mail addresses and telephone numbers) of three (3) confidential referees.
- Brief Vision Statement of not more than 2500 words indicating how the applicant will use the position to advance the strategic objectives of the CSIR.
- All other relevant information including tables and figures should be placed in an Appendix of not more than 6 pages.
Note: Applicants are being informed to request their referees to submit their confidential reports directly to the email addresses below not later than 3rd October, 2022.
Soft copies (PDF format) of application documents should be forwarded to any of the following email addresses not later than 26th September, 2022.
Hard copies may also be delivered to the CSIR Head Office, off Agostino Neto Road, Airport Residential Area, Accra.
DIGITAL ADDRESS: GA037-6683