Dr. Patrick Ofori
Dr Patrick Ofori is a Research Scientist with special interest in Soil Biology and Fertility. His work focuses on using climate-smart biological technologies to improve soil fertility for increased crop production while improving on soil health. These include exploiting the symbiotic relationship between soil rhizobia and legumes to enhance N supply in agro ecosystems, Biochar production and application as a soil amendment, Integrated Soil Fertility Management (ISFM) and composting of organic residues for soil fertility improvement. Dr Ofori is a goal-oriented person and places value on team work, professional ethics and integrity in achieving targeted objectives.
Dr. Patrick Ofori obtained his PhD degree in Soil Science from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, in 2016 and a Master’s degree in Environmental and Resource Management from the Brandenburg University of Technology, Cottbus-Senftengburg (Germany). He also has Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science (Zoology/Botany Option) from the University of Cape Coast.
Dr. Patrick Ofori was employed as a Research Scientist at the Soil Microbiology Division of the CSIR-Soil Research Institute in August 2005. In 2010, he obtained a scholarship from the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) to pursue a PhD course in Soil Science. He has worked on a number of projects and attended many career development training workshops. In 2007, he spent one month as a visiting scholar at the Agro Ecological Laboratory of the Department of Plant Sciences, University of California Davis (USA), to learn about ecological and agronomic methodologies used for studying soil fertility and organic matter dynamics. These included soil aggregate fractionation and stable isotope techniques that can greatly facilitate one’s understanding of nutrient cycling in agricultural systems.
He has worked on a number of projects such as:
- Facilitator in training of Agricultural Extension Agents on technologies to address soil fertility decline in Ghana under Modernizing Agriculture in Ghana(MAG) Project. (Funded by the Canadian Government).
- Member of the Research Team implementing the Savannah Zone Agricultural Productivity Improvement Project (SAPIP) in selected districts in the Northern region of Ghana. (Funded by the African Development Bank Group).
- Development and validation of site and crop specific mineral fertilizer blends for maize, rice, soybean and cassava in the bread basket zone of Ghana. (Funded by the Alliance for Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA).
- Integration of trees into farming systems to increase yield, resilience and soil carbon stocks in Western and Brong Ahafo regions of Ghana. A Forest Investment Project funded by the African Development Bank Group through Forestry Commission of Ghana.
- Carbon storage potential of Landuse/Cropping Systems across selected communities in Ghana to identify strategic management options for farmer adoption. Sustainable Land Management (SLaM) Project.
- Assessing the need to inoculate soybean in selected communities in Northern Ghana under the N2 Africa Project. (Funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation through IITA, Nigeria).
Dr Patrick Ofori has skills in:
- Soil aggregate fractionation/carbon sequestration techniques
- Soil carbon stocks assessment
- Soil fungi-plant relationships-Mycorrhizal assessment
- Soil rhizobia population and symbiotic effectiveness assessment
- Field experimental design
- Scientific data analysis and interpretation
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills
- Dissemination of soil fertility management technologies to farmers
List of Publications
Peer Reviewed Journal papers
- Nana Ewusi-Mensah, Paul Williston Mensah, Vincent Logah & Patrick Ofori (2019) Compost inoculated with Azotobacter sp: impact assessment on eggplant (Solanum melongena) productivity and soil nutrient status in Ghana, Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science, DOI: 1080/03650340.2019.1608526
- Ekow Gaisie, Adams Sadick, Gabriel Quansah, Patrick Ofori (2016). Contribution of Agroforestry Trees for Integrated Nutrient Management to Improve Maize Yield on Smallholder Fields. IJSRST 2 (3): 69-73.
- Fonte S. J., Ofori P., Yeboah E., Quansah G.W., Vanlauwe B., and Six J., (2009). Fertilizer and Residue Quality Effects on Organic Matter Stabilization in Soil Aggregates. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 73:961-966.
- Yeboah E., Ofori P., Quansah G.W., Dugan E., Sohi S.P.(2009). Improving Soil Productivity through Biochar Amendments to Soils. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 3 (2) pp.034-049, February 2009.
- Michael Kwabena Osei, Lawrence Misa Aboagye, Patrick Ofori, Benjamin Annor (2018) Biodiversity in Ghana, In: Pullaiah, T. (Ed.) Global Biodiversity Vol 3, New York: Apple Academic Press, https://doi.org/10.1201/9780429469800.
Edited Research Reports
- Buri Moro Mohammed and Ofori Patrick (2018) Report on Outbreak of Groundnut Rosette Virus Disease in Saboba District. Edited Research Report No: CSIR-SRI/RE/MMB/2018/09. CSIR-Soil Research Institute, Academy Post Office, Kwadaso – Kumasi, Ghana.
- Patrick Ofori and Gideon Asamoah (2019). Laboratory Testing for the Cause of the Discolouration Underneath the Roof of Kejetia Market Building in Kumasi, Ghana. Edited Research Report No: CSIR-SRI/CR/PO/2019/01.
- Mohammed M. Buri, Eric O.Adjei, Emmanuel Dugan, Patrick Ofori, Ekow Gaisie, Francis M. Tetteh, Edward Yeboah, Stephen Owusu, Gideon Asamoah (2018). An Extension Manual on Compost for Sustainable Crop Production. CSIR-SRI/MA/MMB/2018/05.
- Patrick Ofori, Mohammed M. Buri, Eric O. Adjei, Emmanuel Dugan, Ekow Gaisie, Francis M. Tetteh (2018). An Extension Manual on Biochar for Sustainable Crop Production. CSIR-SRI/MA/PO/2018/04.
- Mohammed M. Buri, Eric O. Adjei, Emmanuel Dugan, Patrick Ofori, Ekow Gaisie (2018). An Extension Manual on Sawah Technology for Low Land Rice Production. CSIR-SRI/MA/ MMB/2018.
- Eric O. Adjei, Mohammed M. Buri, Emmanuel Dugan, Patrick Ofori, Ekow Gaisie, Francis M. Tetteh, Edward Yeboah, Stephen Owusu, Gideon Asamoah. (2018). An Extension Manual on Soil Nutrient Management for Sustainable Crop Production. CSIR-SRI/MA/EOA/2018/.
- Emmanuel Dugan, Mohammed M, Buri, Ekow Gaisie, Eric O. Adjei, Patrick Ofori, Francis M Tetteh, Edward Yeboah, Stephen Owusu, Gideon Asamoah (2018). An Extension Manual on Soil and Water Management for Sustainable Crop Production. CSIR-SRI/MA/ED/2018/
Connect with Dr. Ofori