Council for Scientific and Industrial Research-Soil Research Institute (CSIR-SRI) is a public sector scientific research organisation. The Soil Research Institute was established as a research unit of the then West African Cocoa Research Institute at Tafo, Eastern Region in 1945. In 1951, it was re-designated department of Soil and Land-use Survey within the Ministry of Agriculture with its offices at Aburi. In 1953 the institute was transferred to its present site at the Central Agricultural Station, Kwadaso-Kumasi. The Department was made a branch of the Scientific Services Division of the Ministry of Agriculture in December 1959 and in 1962 it became Soil Research Unit within the National Research Council which later became the Ghana Academy of Sciences. In October 1963, the unit was joined together with the Crops Research Unit to form the Agricultural Research Institute within the Ghana Academy of Sciences but a year later the two units got separated again and became full-fledged Research Institutes under the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research.
To generate technologies and build capacity for effective planning, development and management of the soil resources of Ghana for increased and sustainable agriculture, environmental quality and improved livelihood.
Become the centre of excellence in research, development and innovation in tropical soil resources for sustainable agriculture and environmental quality.